Passwords- I am sending home a new password sheet with your child, giving you their passwords to different sites we use at school. This will give them the opportunity to log on to these sites and use them at home:)
Reading Calendar- Every month your child will be bringing home a reading calendar for you to log the minutes they read nightly. If they read the goal set by the second grade teachers, they get a free pizza from Pizza Hut. The goal for the minutes read by each child each month is 300 minutes. Please keep track of their minutes read on the calendar and then complete their name, minutes read, and your signature at the end of the month.
The new spelling words for this week are:
Please remember to look over your child's test when they come home and help them work on spelling the words they missed.
We just finished our first unit in math! The kids did great on their formative assessment. I am so proud of them!
We will be taking our pre-formative assessment on Monday over the 2nd unit in math. I remind the kids that I have not taught them these topics yet. This is just for me to see what they do and do not know and will help guide my classroom instruction.
The kids will learn and be expected to understand the following information:
- Understand that the three digits of a three-digit number represent amounts of hundreds, tens, and ones. Example:706 equals 7 hundreds, 0 tens, and 6 ones
- 100 can be thought of as a bundle of ten tens - called a "hundred"
- The numbers 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 refer to one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine hundreds (and 0 tens and 0 ones)
- Count within 1000, skip-count by 5s, 10s, and 100s
- Read and write numbers to 1000 using base-ten (example 10, 11, 12, 13...) numerals, number names, and expanded form
- Compare two and three-digit numbers based on meanings of the hundreds, tens, and ones digits, using >, +, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons
- Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies (Mastered by the end of 2nd grade)
We will be continuing working on good endings to our stories. We will also be starting lessons on adding details to our writing.
Extra PE- Please have your child wear tennis shoes to school on Mondays. We have an extra PE time every Monday. We also have PE every Friday for specials.
Oct. 10 - Half Day / Dismiss 12:40
Oct. 16 - Individual Pictures
Oct. 23- Parent Teacher Conferences
Oct. 24 - Tiger Pride Assembly 2:30
Oct. 28 - Parent Teacher Conferences
Oct. 31- Fall Parties